Follow

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reading Response # 3

Unlike other reading responses, I would like to take a new approach to responding to Karen Armstrong's "Jerusalem; One City, Three Faiths," book. There are too many interesting components to each of the chapters to focus on all of them. Rather, I chose one interesting piece from each chapter and expanded upon it.

In the first chapter, Zion, I found it extremely intriguing to hear Armstrong describe Zion as such a sacred/holy place. As I was reading I noticed she had referred to Mount Zion as the "highest place in the world." However, the rabbis and the psalmists didn't refer to Mount Zion as the tallest mountain due to its physical attributes. Rather, they were describing "its place on the spiritual map."When people were around Mount Zion they felt safe, protected, and closer to heaven." It gave these people a purpose in society. Before reading this book I had heard of Zion, but never completely understood its significance. Each and every one of us has a place that we go to where we feel more powerful, more comfortable, or more spiritual. In reading this chapter I now understand that this "place", "the city of peace, the holy mountain, and the eternal heritage of its god," is Mount Zion.

"Israel" was one of the more interesting chapters for me, personally. Back home (in California) I have many Jewish/Israeli friends who often speak of their religion, culture, traditions, beliefs, etc. When I ask  them about what god they believe in, they most often respond with Moses. I was shocked to learn that at one point the Israelites believed in many different gods. Until Jerusalem was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, the Israelites worshipped many other deities such as Asherah (fertility goddess), the consort of El, as well as a plethora of other Syrian gods. Once the city was destroyed the Israelites then realized that Yahweh (the God of Moses) was the only God they were to have faith in.

The City of David is a large historical piece of Jerusalem. It was here that King David established himself, and built his palace. It was David who helped Yahweh become the holy god of Jerusalem (and later Solomon who solidified it). It is also said that The Kingdom of David has brought about controversy in regards to its existence. Many argue that because the Kingdom was not supported in the Eastern texts of that period, it did not exist. However, the majority still believes that both the Kingdom of David, as well as the Kingdom of Judah, were undoubtedly real.

In comparison to the Kingdom of David as well as the Kingdom of Israel, the Kingdom of Judah was relatively poor and badly located. They were exposed to few resources and were unable to prosper agriculturally. However, the Kingdom of Judah was able to overcome these hardships because "Yahweh had established a haven of shalom: wholeness, harmony and security."Although I was confused at various points throughout the chapter, I learned that Judah is a "nation"of good people (other than their kings) who are loyal to those they believe in. Each of these chapters were able to add value to Jerusalem's rich history, tradition, and culture. As I read further, I hope Armstrong can paint an even more vivid picture in my head and get me thinking about the city of Jerusalem with a new perspective in mind.

1 comment:

  1. I like your approach to respond to specific points in each chapter, instead of blanketing the entire assigned reading. What I found challenging about Armstrong thus far and many of the other historical books I have read is the age of the material. I'm fascinated with modern day issues and how they affect our lives. In fairness, one must understand the history of Jerusalem/the Jewish people to be able to even attempt to understand the modern day situation. I look forward to making these connections during this class.

    ReplyDelete