Follow

Monday, February 18, 2013

Reading Response # 10

As soon as I clicked on the website, it made so much sense. What better way is there to bring groups of people together? Music is one of the most powerful ways we can express ourselves. By integrating both Arabs and Jews together, it allows each group to communicate with and listen to one another. Under the Director's Note on the website, I thought it was interesting to read, "I thought I would stay and film two or three days to document Barenboim's activities in reconciling Israelis and Palestinians. I ended up following this unique experience for seven years."

I think what Edward Said and Daniel Barenboim have done is brilliant. They've been able to successfully pull-off a feat that has been nearly impossible to do. They've successfully combined Israeli and Palestinian people. It's great that the young musicians get to improve upon their music development as well gain knowledge by learning about the other sides' culture. What I like most about the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra is the fact that it's only been in existence for seven years. Already they have seen that this program has been able to break down barriers create a closer connection between Israelis and Arabs.

As I was reading background information, I found it very interesting that the orchestra had already played in countries such as Spain, Germany, the UK, France, Switzerland, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, and the U.S.A. That shows that they are spreading awareness across not only Middle Eastern countries, but internationally, too.

I look forward to hearing from Mariam Said. I'm sure it will be difficult to speak on behalf of Edward, but I believe it has the potential to inspire all of us. After reading about the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment