Follow

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Weblog Journal Assignment # 4

Music plays a significant role in my life. Music allows me to "get away" from the world when I want to. It allows me to enter my own little world where all that matters is me and my music. As we have learned, music creates an identity. In the West Eastern Divan Orchestra, for example, it allows people to forget their pasts, differences, and cultures. In essence, music becomes their culture. For me, it serves a different purpose. There isn't one specific type of music I always listen to. Depending on my mood and the situation, different genres of music satisfy my "needs." For example, when I study I tend to listen to either classical or alternative music. The quieter style of music calms me down and allows me to focus and get in my zone. Before a sporting event classical music would not be my tune of choice. Rather, I would prefer an up-beat sound to get my adrenaline pumping. As you can see from this small sample, music can play multiple roles.

Additionally, music allows me to think deeply and emotionally. Have you ever watched a sad scene in a movie, where the "soft and slow" music makes you tear up? If you have, you should attempt to re-watch that same scene with the volume turned off. You will most likely notice you don't feel the same emotion. In these situations, music is what creates emotion. Similarly, music is the reason the IU basketball fans get so amped up before tip-off. The music gets us excited and helps to unite us as a University.

Music as a form of communication becomes tricky. In one sense, music is an obvious form of communication, where the artist is "speaking" to the listener. Songs that contain lyrics usually tell a story, or a vision of that artist. From an artist's music we learn something about them and/or their life. Music containing no lyrics, however, is far more blurry in regards to communication.

I don't believe music has any one role in conflict. However, going back to the West Eastern Divan Orchestra, we have seen that music can absolutely reduce the amount of conflict in society. The Orchestra has created friendships between Israelis and Arabs rather than fuel animosity between them. I think the idea of music reducing conflict is still a relatively new concept. With that being said, I hope music can continue to play an important role in reducing the friction held between individuals, groups, and even nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment